Peer Technology Specialist Job Description
Peer Technology Specialists are the driving force of the Student Technical Support team and are here to advise and educate students on all aspects of computing and technology use at Stanford, consult with students on computer related problems, and support residential network connections. Peer Technology Specialists are a core part of Learning Technology & Spaces, helping to educate students about technology resources to promote academic and personal growth. Peer Technology Specialists are an integral part of the Student Technical Support team.
- Gain experience in front-line customer service
- Learn technical skills in computer networking, IT administration, and hardware/software troubleshooting
- Practice explaining technical concepts in simple language
- Flexible hours
- Opportunity to advance within the program and work in leadership roles
- Provide in-person, one-on-one support to students who come to drop-in office hours at the Lathrop Learning Hub, call in by phone, or submit help tickets online.
- Work with other Peer Technology Specialists to plan and host technology-related educational events for students
- Document troubleshooting steps and strategies in coordination with other Peer Technology Specialists
- Attend quarterly meetings with Student Technical Support service staff members
- Participate in promotional events such as the IT Open House and New Student Orientation
- Assist with recruitment of future Peer Technology Specialists
No previous technical work experience or skills required, but an interest in technology is strongly encouraged!
- Full-time Stanford student in good academic standing
- Able to work a minimum of 8 hours per week
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a customer-facing role
- Friendly and approachable
- Willingness to learn and apply new skills
- Ability to work productively in teams
Training and Weekly Work Requirements
- Training is hands-on, on-the-clock, with a fellow team member or program lead.
- Must attend mandatory quarterly meetings with the Student Technical Support program managers.
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory job performance evaluation by the Peer Technology Specialist team leaders and Student Technical Support program managers.
Pay: Starting at $17.25 an hour
Available Terms: All Quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer Quarter.)
To apply, please submit a current resume to: stutech.stanford.edu/hiring
Contact Email: email@example.com