Cluster Computer and Virtual Desktop Software Change Request
To request new software, software updates, or software removals on the VPSA Public Computers and Virtual Desktops (virtualdesktop.stanford.edu), please complete the Software Change Request form linked below. This request form is primarily for VPSA imaging partners and stakeholders, including key faculty and administrative staff.
Students who have specific requests for software are encouraged to contact The Hub and/or work with a faculty or department administrator to submit a request.
Requests can be submitted at any time, but please note the deadlines for each academic quarter. Deployment for a desired academic quarter can only be secured if the request is received by that quarter’s due date. Any requests received after the due date will be deferred for deployment to the following academic quarter.
- Winter Quarter 2024: 10/30/2023
- Spring Quarter 2024: 02/05/2024
- Summer Quarter 2024: 05/06/2024
- Fall Quarter 2024: 07/08/2024
- Winter Quarter 2025: 10/28/2024
Software Change Request Process
- Submit a request form. There is a cut-off date for software requests for the following quarter. See deadlines on the request form. Software requests for future quarters can be submitted at any time.
- Requests are evaluated by VPSA Technical Systems team and discussed with stakeholders on acquisition, licensing, and installation.
- Update packages are created to deploy the software requested to our macOS and/or Windows images.
- The software is tested on the VPSA Cluster computers at The Hub at Lathrop. The stakeholder is also requested to test the software.
- Once the software passes testing, the software is deployed into all the production computers by the first day of classes for the academic quarter requested.
Change Request Guidelines
- Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Software that is currently or will be used for class instruction in the following quarter will be given priority. Please include the course and quarters for which the software is needed in the general comments and notes field.
- By default requested applications will be installed on the macOS cluster. If there is no macOS version available we can consider installing it on our Virtual Windows Desktop environment. Please discuss with Technical Systems team.
- Commercial software beyond end-of-life and/or any software without active support will not be considered.
- We will not install beta, trial, demo, or other similar limited-use software.
- By requesting installation of this software, you agree to be the sponsor and may be consulted about installation and settings. The sponsor will also be consulted if they need to provide the funds to acquire the licenses (depending on use case). Please provide as much information as possible regarding installation and licensing.
- Requested applications must be compatible with Windows 10/11 or macOS.
- MacOS software must be 64-bit versions.
While we will do our best to accommodate each request, some may need to be deferred. In such cases, we will contact the stakeholder to discuss the request and options to move forward.