Student Image Developer Job Description
The Student Image Developer (Imaging Tech) assists in developing, maintaining, updating, and deploying Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux images for managed computers in public, residential, and library environments. The position reports to the Associate Director of Systems Software, with supervisory and project input from the Technical Systems Specialists. The job runs full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year. Students working during the Academic Year and in good standing automatically qualify for a summer position.
- Creating a stable OS configuration for all master images and ensuring integration with campus-wide back-end systems such as LDAP directory services and Kerberos authentication.
- Installing the required applications and utilities on the master images and ensuring that they work properly. Performing updates and revisions as needed.
- As part of Technical Systems imaging team, ensuring parity between the Macintosh and Windows software images.
- Scripting needed login and logout hooks.
- Setting up a distribution mechanism for the master images.
- Setting up a maintenance mechanism for the master images.
- Updating or modifying the images as needed.
- Documenting the process of creating and deploying images, and documenting all changes or modifications to existing images.
- Responding to trouble reports regarding the images and resolving them.
- Other programming tasks as needed
- Experience with scripting, particularly with Perl, Python, and/or shell scripts
- Some background in UNIX system administration
- Responsible and detail oriented
- Self-directed and have the ability to work well without constant supervision
- Extremely comfortable with the Mac OS and Windows
- Some experience with version control systems, preferably git
- Some experience working with linux or other unix-like systems
Pay: Starts at $17.00/hr
Duration: Academic Year
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 8 to 12-hour weekly schedule Monday-Friday. No evening or weekend hours.
Application due by: Applications accepted year-round